General Information

Locations for Research and Training

The IMPRS-GM programme is run at several locations since it combines four institutions. Your workplaces are located at the institutions where you are under contract.
The coordination office is located at the Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology (MPISA) in Halle (Saale). A large part of the curriculum, including regular courses and teaching modules take place at the MPISA, too, while the annual Spring School rotates between the involved institutions.

Visa Regulations

EU citizens
If you are an EU citizen, you do not need a visa to enter Germany. Additionally, you do not need a residence permit.

Non-EU citizens of EEA (Europaen Economic Area) countries and Switzerland
Citizens of EEA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) and Switzerland need neither a visa nor a residence permit to enter and work in Germany.
Please, check the website of the German Federal Foreign Office, concerning whether or not you need a visa to enter Germany.

Non-EU citizens of all other countries
Prior to entering Germany, you need to apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate in your home country. Please take into consideration that processing your visa application can take up to three months. You also need to make sure that you apply for the correct visa, as there are different types. Applying for the appropriate visa is essential. The visa type always depends on the purpose of the stay in Germany, e.g.

When you apply for a visa, please indicate clearly the purpose of your stay:

  1. As a Doctoral student you should not enter the country with a tourist visa because this cannot be converted into a residence permit after your arrival.
  2. We strongly advise against entering Germany with a Schengen Visa. Once in Germany you will not be able to apply for a residence permit allowing for employment.
  3. If you have a spouse and he/she wishes to work in Germany, you should state this in your visa application. Once in Germany it is not possible to apply for a work permit.

For more information on visa regulations, please see the websites of the German Federal Foreign Office and the German Rectors’ Conference.

Visa Support

The IMPRS will not directly facilitate or help with the visa application process outside of Halle. Those employed at the MPI but enrolled in other universities, such as Leipzig or Erlangen, need to liaise with the international office of their respective university.

Students, for example, affiliated with the MPI, enrolled in Halle, but residing in locations like Berlin or elsewhere, need to independently navigate the visa application procedure.

Go to Editor View